Garage conversion insulation behind boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Just got a question on converting my garage to a spare room and cannot find the answer I'm looking for anywhere on the net.

I have a new build timber frame bungalow which has an integral garage. The garage is the lower than the main house and so I understand the floor will need raised and insulated etc. The garage is completely framed and plasterboarded and is part of the timber frame of the house i.e when the kit was erected the garage was included. I think that there is currently insulation between the warm house walls and the garage walls but I am unsure whether there will be any on the external walls. Would it be a case of ripping all the plasterboarding off the external walls and insulating to the correct spec between studs then re sheeting? My worry about this is that I have a boiler and hot water cylinder in the back corner of the garage and I am unsure what the normal way of addressing insulation behind these are?

The roof is sheeted and insulated above already.

I will be applying for building regs but am just trying to get everything straightened out in my head whilst waiting on this.

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Whenever I've done garage convertions and left the boiler in-situ Building Control have always been happy with no insulation behind it. Same with meters.

Thanks for the reply Freddie,

I cut a piece of plasterboard away on the external wall today and was surprised to find some of the yellow insulation like you find in the loft behind the polythene which is behind the plasterboard. How would I know if this is insulated enough, Would I need to have an architect calculate what is required. It should be an easier conversion if what's in there at present was enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back