Ways to improve garage insulation???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of years ago we had an extension to the rear of a bungalow.

The extension joined our detached single garage to our home.

All the requirements were met for the building regs, in fact I was suprised when I saw the loft insulation at how thick it was compared to our main roof loft space because the builders told me how the regs had changed and now thicker material was required.

The problem is though, for some reason the extension is always much colder compared to the rest of the bungalow.

The garage is a single brick wall with a flat felt roof and an up and over door.

I have already insulated the roof by battening and using insulation between the joists then boarding.

However, I realise that the garage door itself allows a lot of draught through the various small gapps around the sides whereit closes.
Plus also that the external walls of the garage obviously have no insualtion.

I have been looking at the possibilty of replacing the garage door with an insulated Securoglide roller door as it seems the best garage to prevent draughts.

I am however unsure whether it is worth adding any kind of insulation to the external garage walls. I feel it is the garage itself which is causing the extension to be colder. In fact if I go into the garage from the house it is like stepping outside in terms of temperature.

Any suggestions of how to improve the insulation of the garage?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If anything, you would insulate the wall between the garage and extension, rather than waste time and money trying to insulate a cold garage - bear in mind that heat goes outwards through the structure and cold does not come inwards

Thanks Woody for the reply.

The wall between the garage and the extension is already insulated.

Any other idea's?

Sponsored Links
Another reason for NOT insulating the garage is that the draughts keep it dry.

How was the extesion insulated (floor, walls, ceiling), is it dry lined? are the windows draughty? How big is it and what heating does it have?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back