garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a detached garage at the rear of the property. it is single skin, on a concrete slab with a newish flat roof.

if i was to brick up the garage door add a new upvc door and window, insulate the floor timber stub internal etc would it reuire planning or regs

i am planning to have an extension at a later date which will butt onto the converted garage. in the meantime though i want to crack on with converting the garage.

any ideas

cheers matt

Sponsored Links
Depends what you want to do with it, but probably regs. No planning unless you are changing the shape or size.

will call it a play room for the kids but i will throw in a sofa bed for the occassional guest.

size and shape won't change other than bricking up the garage door.

what is regs likely to cost?

what are the implications of not applying for regs...

cheers

Sponsored Links
Dunno, but if you intending running water, gas or a new leccy feed, it would be foolish to proceed without doing it the proper way.

If you already have electrics in there* and it's capable of running an electric heater...and no water or gas needed, you'll probably get away with it. Bricking up the door could cause probs though. Blocks behind the door, with insulation in between, might be a better choice.

At the end of the day, any internal building work you do that can be easily undone, shouldn't be cause for concern.

*a single socket and light bulb probably won't cut it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back