Damp proof course bricks damaged

E

edthegr8

Hi,

I'm in the process of trying to get bits and bobs that need doing around the house done before winter.
When we moved in 6 months ago, the survey had pointed out the fact that the odd brick at the front and side of the house had spalled and needed cutting out and replacing. It also commented that some of the repointing was not as tidy as it should be and this should be redone to improve the appearance. A friend who points for a living looked at it and his opinion was it was only cosmetic and the pointing was fine.

However, I've noticed a few bricks in the damp proof course are damaged and some have spalled.

Is it just a case of getting these replaced by a bricklayer? Or is there more to it than that?
Is it likely to cause issues before it is done?

I've attached some pictures........

Once again thanks in advance, I really am unsure about things like this.

Sponsored Links
the broken brick appears to be above the dpc, where it should be dry, yet the algae suggests it is wet. Is the gutter leaking? If not, where is the water coming from?

the excess water will be causing the frost damage.

John,

The brick with a crack in in the top image is a crack that is where a single story extension was dovetailed into the existing brickwork (I've posted previously about that split and was told it was fairly normal).
The plastic strip that is visible I thought was the DPC and the spalled brick is below it.

On the middle image, the messy bit of pointing is at the same level as the plastic DPC strip.

In the third image, the badly spalled brick is the one immediately below the plastic DPC.

I've looked all round the house at that level and the only moss etc are bits below the DPC.

Does that make sense or am I missing something (which I probably am)

Thanks for your advice, I really do appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
The bricks have poor frost resistance and as they are so near the ground they will be getting damp from splashes irrespective of where the DPC is

You can change them or leave them for a while, its not a big issue

No need to bother with the pointing, as your mate says

in picture 3, I think I can see something flat and black under the gap where the brick has spalled. Is it pooling water, or dirt or something?

btw if you are having new bricks put in, I would think about frost-resistant bricks to save having to do it again.

John,

Ahh yes I can see exactly what you mean...that is just dirt which the camera has made look darker. It looked that much like the DPC I had to go out and double check.

The plastic DPC is definitely in the next mortar joint up (ie. immediately above the broken brick). The DPC is visible at that level from the other angle.

Is this relatively common then?

When I get them replaced, I'll defo ask about frost resistant ones. That side of the house is open to the elements and quite often gets a cold wind blowing from the valley.

How urgent a job is it?

Cheers guys.

A few spalled bricks or messy pointing are things surveyors highlight when there is little else wrong they can find.
Presumably it makes it look as though they are earning their fees.

A few spalled bricks and pointing are not irrelevant, and a surveyor should highlight them

For all you know, one or two spalled bricks could be the start of many more in the near future, which will be a considerable cost implication for the buyer, or could be the result of a further problem.

And is messy pointing defective pointing instead .... with those related issues too?

The surveyor has an obligation to highlight every relevant defect, however minor. Where a surveyor often fails, is in stating the significance of the defects

so should i be worried?

If there are a few spalled bricks - no. If there are many, -yes, but they can always be replaced.
The bricks look to be rustic facing bricks, and they may not necessarily be particularly frost resistant, but if there are only a handful below dpc, its not a big problem. I should only be concerned if they were spalling higher up in the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back