Damp Proof Course question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am currently building a hardwood porch for my little sisters cottage. Its basically a glorified shed and simply replacing the old rotten porch that was there before. the base is solid and build with engineers brick with slab floor. The old timber structure rotted from the bottom up, and I think I am going to add a damp course with 1 course of bricks on top to try to prevent moisture coming up from below (currently the base wall stops at the DPC height).

My question is this, I have a lot of "toughsheet" left over from my conservatory floor, could I use strips of this in the wall, or should I just pop pff to screwfix and buy a roll f the proper stuff and not be so tight (money is tight for her, hence why her big bro has agreed to do the job for her).

Cheers folks.

Sponsored Links
If money is so tight that it comes downs to the cost of a roll of DPC, should the porch be done in hardwood?
Incidentally, you would not put just one course of brick on the dpc - the brick would go on the concrete, then dpc, then framing.

Thanks for the reply, however, I looked in Screwfix and when I realised a roll of DPC was only 4 quid, I just got one. Last time I bought any was when I was building my conservatory base and I got it in with a delivery of everything so had no idea how much it didn't cost.

To answer the question about hardwood, I know softwood would be a lot cheaper, but I was thinking it wouldn't last 5 minutes in softwood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back