Damp seeping under back door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The back door to our cottage is just a bog standard hollow wooden door with the metal strip at the bottom of the doorway (sorry I don't know the technical terms!).

The back kitchen floor is concrete and there is a concrete area outside the building which is an inch lower then the floor level. On the outside of the door is a little step which brings the level equal to inside.

I've noticed that when we have rain against that side of the house, the water and damp seeps under the metal strip and the floor inside becomes wet.

I've brushed some of that concrete waterproofing liquid on the outside but wondered how best to try and seal it properly. Any ideas would be much appreciated as I'd like to fit a carpet before winter!! :(

Sponsored Links
the outside ground level should not be the same as finished floor level.

is the oncrete bridging your dpc?

silicone sealant along the bottom of the door in the short term.

You need a new door [hollow doors are for internal use only] and a weather bar on the bottom of the door to guide rain away from step which needs lowering or better still removing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back