New aluminum sliding door leak inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently installed a 3 pieces aluminium sliding door, but leaks inside when it’s raining heavily. The water is come from under the bottom frame.

I investigated and found the water is coming in from the drain holes. After I poured water into the drain holes, water came out to the weep holes outside and also seeped out from under the frame to inside.

I’m not expert of window/ sliding door but It’s strange that water is seeping out from under the frame inside.

To fix this problem, the builder has lifted the sliding door and laid down a waterproof ‘tray’ under the frame and applied sealant to the inside edge to prevent water seeping inside. See attached drawing

The question is – is it normal practice?

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 481
Sponsored Links
There's a correct way to build floors and where doors sit and how you position the vertical DPC if the doors are fitted on the outer leaf or within the cavity.

There should be vertical DPC running along the edge of the floor and outerleaf, along with the DPM.

If the door is not face drained and the drainage is under the lip of the cill you should have siliconed the ends of the cill and then put the end caps on otherwise the water will run to each end of the cill and in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back