Patio doors drain channel tilts away from hole.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some sliding patio doors. They are south facing coastal so you can imagine sometimes they get pelted. When this happens the drain channel becomes overwhelmed. I decided to take a look today and poured a litre of water into the channel and to my surprise the water ran and collected at the far fixed end away from the usual drain hole at the sliding end meaning the doors are not level and lean sufficiently away from the drain hole that the channel will fill and breach before the water can drain. As this channel is generally dry I can only assume that after the storm the water in the channel that pools then finds its own way out via the screws through the channel into the sub floor.

Does the channel that the external weep holes connect to run the whole length of the bottom frame so that I could drill a new hole in the drain channel at fixed end from inside to out at 45degrees and assume that I will find this channel and in doing so solve the problem?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I will answer my own question as I have now drilled a couple of holes and the water now empties through the exterior weep holes correctly.
IMG_20191018_164835.jpg

Just for reference, as you have done it now. Pvc is split into hollow sections within the main profile ... Depending on the profile will depend on how many sections BUT what is common to all pvc is that the very outside hollow section is considered the drain, so for example , in your situation , the drain holes you see in the channel will be angled and drilled to connect ONLY to the outside hollow section, which then will either visible ' face drain ' holes ( similar to those you have drilled yourself ) or what are known as ' base drain ' which are in the bottom of the frame , hidden. Just double check you have only gone into the outer chamber or you may well get water still ingress to the sub floor.
Unfortunately whoever put them in clearly didn't read the spirit level correctly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back