Damp solid wall, S&C, lime or other plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Looking a bit of advice on how to proceed with a damp/salt infused bathroom wall.

Walls in question are 9" red brick with lime mortar. They have pebble dash on the outside (sand/cement) and inside is rendered with a thick sand cement, with a skim finish.

Found a leaky downpipe and crack in render, this has been fixed. There is a bituminous DPC in the brickwork but this is bridged externally by dash/render.

Bought a damp meter and i know its not an absolute measurement but comparatively the lime Mortar is at 20%, remaining sand cement/finish is around 17% and the brick is at 40%.

Is there any chance there is an element of rising dampness given the salts? Im tempted to inject a DPC (dryzone) for peace of mind.
The rest of the soild walls have had the bricks injected in the past and walls tanked, dont know why this one wasnt!

For treatment i have stripped off any internal render that was reading high on the meter (or actively growing) back to the brick. Ive had heating on and dehumdifier running for 2 weeks. No change in readings.

Any advice on how to proceed? I want to tile the walls afterwards.
Looking at sand and cement render with waterproofer but on reading about lime mortar im unsure of how to proceed?

Also anyone used Dri-Coat plaster in this situation?
http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/thistle-dri-coat

Cheers Neil

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back