damp / stains coming through new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently renovating a house. I've had it rewired and a few months ago, I plastered the chased / around the sockets using bonding and multifinish. In one of the rooms, I've had some bright yellow stains coming through the wall in patches. I've not painted yet so I can try using stain block to cover them up but wondered if anyone knew what they might be.

Also, in one area that I've plastered, theres patch that looks damp. It's on a brick wall that backs onto the house next door so it's not external. The original plaster is lime plaster I think. Could it be the bonding sucking the moisture out of the lime plaster? If so, do I need to rip it off and start again or will it eventually dry out?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
are these yellow stains on a chimneybreast?

most likely you have a water leak.

post plenty of photos.

both sides of the wall

and above the stains.

I'll take some photo's next time I'm there.

It's not a chimney breast - it's the party wall between this house and next door. At the other side, there may well be a chimney breast though (in the neighbours house).

there's no pipes in the wall or in the room above.

The yellowing isn't what I'd usually expect from damp - it's a bright, almost flourescent yellow

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back