Damp under & around bay window.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

We've had issues with damp around the bay window in our current property since repainting the front room last year. The damp is quite bad under the window on one side and there's a line of it straight across the wall either side about a meter up as well as just general patches here and there. I've attached a photo of the worst of it.

A few things happened around the same time it appeared. The flat roof above the window flooded and overflowed, and we were informed that we need to get the chimney lined so we stopped using the wood burner and started using the central heating. I assumed that the damp was caused by the roof and I unblocked the pipe. A bit of water does collect when it rains hard but aside from that it's draining OK.

I repointed the outside earlier this year just in case it was penetrating and we've had a dehumidifier running assuming that we needed to dry the walls out. It's rained on and off in the meantime and not really got worse. It completely cleared up those few weeks it was roasting. Outside walls don't seem especially wet after the rain today.

Today the dehumidifier was off and the heating was on for a few hours this afternoon. Its rained but I wouldn't say the walls outside are especially wet. I've noticed the damp get worse when the heating is on in the past but it's come back with a vengeance today. At this point I'm assuming it's condensation with the house heating up quickly. The front room is the coldest in the house by far and we generally have the doors closed most of the time and don't have the heating on round the clock. Ideally, I'd prefer if I didn't have to spend a bomb on heating if it is condensation. Based on where the dog lies when he's too hot I'd say the areas where the damp is are the coldest in the house but that's a guess.

Any advice would be great. I've got a roofer coming round to fix some loose slates so will get him to double check the roof isn't leaking somewhere, but I don't think it is. Water pressure isn't dropping so I don't think that's leaking under the floor. We have a couple of big hedges on the front about 2ft from the walls. I'll trim them to give the outside walls some more room to breathe but some of the damp is nowhere near them.

Aside from that I'm at a loss. We didn't notice any damp before redecorating. Previous walls were a satin brown colour that I'd say was a bit more wipe clean than our matte grey now if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• IMG_20201005_172813.jpg
    IMG_20201005_172813.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 341
Sponsored Links
Obviously its very difficult to diagnose from one picture and you really need someone on site to see the picture fully but one thing jumps out at me when you say your reluctant to spend money on heating if its condensation but in reality heating the room will help reduce even cure the condensation, steam from cooking, drying clothes on radiators or clothes horses even people breathing out all causes condensation and condensation loves cold surfaces to cling to

I would say frame is leaking, exterior pics would be more useful, we know what damp walls look like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back