Damp Victorian Cellar and looking to recoat. Solutions?

Sponsored Links
Paint systems like these are applied to slow down mould and organic growth brought about by a damp atmosphere, if the walls are in anyway damp/wet they will be of little to use to you.

You will need to address the underlying cause of the dampness before attempting any form of decoration.

Dec

Sponsored Links
OK. Thanks for the feedback. It is entirely possible to improve the ventilation to the cellar with vents. Does anyone have any recommendations for a breathable paint to use on cellar walls? Dulux make a 'Mouldshield' cellar paint, but I am uncertain as to whether it is breathable.

At present, there is a flakey coat of limewash which is coming away in places.

Firstly you cant apply paint over the limewash, you should remove all or indeed most of this using warm water a scraper and a stiff bristle brush. Then you will need to apply an oil based primer sealer such as Dulux Trade oil based Primer Sealer before your emulsion, Dulux Trade Mouldshield Matt would be the better choice in your situation, yet the longevity of the system will depend on you increasing the airflow within the cellar.

Dec

Just to add to the above Dulux also do a Trade cellar paint which you might also wish to look at, this is a solvent borne system that seems to be well recommended.

Dec

Thanks Dec. That's great. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to paint the floor with? Again I guess breathability is the key.

It's water pressure from behind the walls that is the problem. Cellars aren't tanked just for the heck of it. If you want a liveable space then tank it. If it's just for storage then wash it over with contract matt every now and again.

Grimaldinho

I have just seen your pics on the Builders sub forum, if I were you I would follow the advice that you have been given. There really is'nt a paint system available capable of providing a cure to your problem not even on a temporary basis.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back