DATA D:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Packard Bell PC. When I bought it I vaguely remeber it being described as "dual core". Anyway when I go into "My Computer" it shows two hard disk drives, (C: ), the main one I suppose, which is approx half full now and (D: ). The (D: ) drive is 111GB in size with only about 4GB in use. Anyone know what this is for and how I get to use it. I ask because the (C: ) drive was originally 30GB but is now half full. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the drive has been partitioned into two (It's what I do when I build a PC).
The intention would be to use C: for programs and D: for data. You should just be able to write to it, same as the C: drive.

Thanks for the reply happypig. If I understand you correctly I should be able to transfer all documents and photographs from C to D and thereby free up space on C? Will give it a try.

It's very useful if you ever have to reinstall Windows. You keep all your data and documents on the D drive, and you can then safely reformat C and reinstall for a fresh clean machine.

Sponsored Links
All I have to do now, is learn how to put all my stuff on the D drive. I haven't got the patience. This could be a job for my son.

You dont have to put it all on there individually, you can bulk copy it. Also, yu only want to put your documents on there, not all the program files and windows files.

Open up a dos box (start>run, type cmd , press enter)

then enter the following (pressing enter after each line)

[code:1]d:
md "my documents"
cd "%HOMEPATH%\My Documents"
xcopy *.* "d:\my documents\" /e[/code:1]

Once you are happy that all your files are there, go to your desktop, right click on My documents, select properties. Click on Move and navigate to the directory you created on the D: drive.

You should now be using D: for all your personal data.

Thanks for that happypig. Will give that a go and let you know how I get on. Not tonight though, not sober enough.

You dont have to put it all on there individually, you can bulk copy it. Also, yu only want to put your documents on there, not all the program files and windows files.

Open up a dos box (start>run, type cmd , press enter)

then enter the following (pressing enter after each line)

[code:1]d:
md "my documents"
cd "%HOMEPATH%\My Documents"
xcopy *.* "d:\my documents\" /e[/code:1]

Once you are happy that all your files are there, go to your desktop, right click on My documents, select properties. Click on Move and navigate to the directory you created on the D: drive.

You should now be using D: for all your personal data.

Good old MSDOS.....Those where the days... But we have GUI now !!!

Sponsored Links
Back