David (Johnstones cheap) vs Goliath (Bedec extortionate)

£5 Johnstones or £24 Bedec

• Johnstones

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Bedec

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some 1 litre Bedec Aqua advance today for the grand price of £24! From what I read this is pretty decent stuff so while expensive was reasonably happy to pay for it. I then walked into Asda who were selling 750ml of Johnstones for £5. I bought that as well with the intention of researching it. The problem is I can't find much info on it. Amazon have it very highly rated but then again it is cheap.

I have to admit that the skirting boards which they will be applied too aren't perfect but will be pretty to a reasonably standard. What I'm hoping to find out is whether there is as big a real world difference that the massive price difference would suggest? Should I stick with the Bedec or is the little Johnstones more than able to hold its own?

Sponsored Links
In my experience Johnstones retail is awful. Bedec is well rated, i use QD Dulux u/c and gloss. BTW neither of your choices will be much good if you apply straight over OB gloss without and undercoat, you need something to bridge between the two and ensure adhesion.

Undercoat will be applied after I have rubbed the existing paint down to key it. Saying that the Johnstones says it is self undercoating but nevertheless I think I would apply undercoat anyway. £5 is too cheap in my opinion but I don't know what the real world differences will be without trying them both and potentially wasting quite a bit of money £44 in terms of the Bedec and it's undercoat. What's not good about Johnstones retail paints?

Sponsored Links
Interesting. Is it OK to mix and match primer/undercoat and overcoat? That Zinsser is almost £10 cheaper than the Bedec, the Leyland trade primer undercoat is half as much again and comes with outstanding reviews.

I believe its ok to use what primer undercoat you choose too unless the topcoat states you have to use a specific basecoat, I always used Zinsser with no issues.
Most paint tins have advice line phone numbers on them so you could check with them direct, they normally are very helpful in my experience.

After considering the mountain of advice on offer here I decided to go with the Johnstones with Leyland Trade undercoat. The undercoat is fabulous, smooth and easy to work with. The Johnstones was a pig. Brush stroke tramlines a plenty and when I went back over to smooth it out it dried so quickly that it pulled and dragged, ruining an already poor finish. I then tried wetting my brush before applying each stroke and it was as though it was a totally different paint. Smooth, with good levels of flow. There are still brush strokes evident but only noticeable if you get on your knees and look for them. The levels of gloss can't match that of an oil based gloss, more of a shinier than average satin, but then I would take that over it going yellow any day. Maybe the Bedec would be smoother still with higher gloss levels but £24 they can keep it. The £5 the Johnstones is a mile away from 'awful', it is very impressive. I will be taking the Bedec back to the shop and pocketing the frankly disproportional high price difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back