De-soldering and replacing a soldered 22mm elbow joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just wondering if I de-solder an existing 22mm elbow joint and then want to replace it can I simply clean up the pipework with emery cloth and then resolder it or would a compression joint be better? Unfortunately I can't cut one of the pipe lengths shorter for a clean end as it will be v.awkward

any assistance appreciated

adam

Sponsored Links
Yes, entirely possible, but you will may it very helpful to have an extra pair of hands since you will need to (gently) grip the adjacent pipework with a spanner and possible tap it very lightly to get it loose whilst you heat the joint. Can be done, but can be a bit awkward.

When apart, let it cool and apply flux over the pipe as well as the inside the new elbow. Since there will no doubt be residual solder on the pipe, the new fitting may not go on quite so smoothly and you may have to heat the pipe to soften the solder to get the required slippage. Manipulating it all into place will possibly be fiddly and that extra pair of hands may again be useful. Add additional solder and flux when the elbow finally gets into position.

Wouldn't recommend a compression replacement on a pre-soldered piece of pipe.

Can be done but sometimes they just do not want to come apart.

While the pipe ends are still hot (i.e. solder molten) wipe off the excess solder with some wire wool. New fitting should go on and tinned pipe ends make soldering much easier.

It will be a snug fit with the new fitting as the tinned ends will make it a larger diameter than the fitting. Heat and remove as much as possible using plenty of flux. with some fine wet n dry you will be able to get the fitting to fit. More flux and solder and you will have a good joint.

Sponsored Links
when desoldered, simply use a wet rag to wipe off solder to a point it can be cleaned for a fitting with the aid of a clean up pad.e.g green pad used for washing up.cleaning the solder off with a wet rag will help get the blobs off that stop a fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back