Dear Deckers......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Daft question this one, but can't seem to find a conclusive answer.
I am nearing completion of a deck - 7mx3m and have 4.8m 14.4cm boards.
In terms of screwing the boards down into the frame, is it best just to put couple of 2.5 inch screws into the ends and middle of the board when fixing, or regularly across the length - your views / experiences welcome. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Approximately 25mm from each edge will be okay and no need to put screw in the middle.

Scoby_Beasley said:
Regular screwing ( ;) ) I find is best. It also helps with the decking.

Fell straight into that one :)
Read in a guide that the screws need to go into every support the plank passes over - seems a bit excessive to me - especially with @ 16 supports. Think that I will try the ends and see if there is any bounce before going overboard with the screws.

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
ucsman said:
Fell straight into that one :)
Read in a guide that the screws need to go into every support the plank passes over - seems a bit excessive to me - especially with @ 16 supports.
How far apart are the supports?

I constructed this deck on concrete block 'stilts' to clear uneven ground. Built in 3* 2.4m square sections to form frames, and then added support every 35cm (very stable now with noggins). Also bolted together also with stainless bolts.

All levelled now - ready for posts, handrails & wiring (for LED markers) before boards go on.

Only casualty to date is my sunburn!!

2 screws at every joist that you cross.
Otherwise the boards will lift in time as they naturally warp with the wetting and drying.
ahh the joys of decking... nearly finished my 8mx10 deck. :D
try the TRADA Decking guide for more info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back