Decking End Grain Preservative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm in the process of planning a garden deck and understand you have to treat all cut ends of timber.

I plan to oil the deck with Ronseal Ultimate Protection Decking Oil (a few months after construction), and have seen that Ronseal also do an End Grain Protector.

My question is, would application of the Ultimate Protection Oil to the cut ends when I construct the deck suffice, or is the End Grain Protector product vastly different in what it does?

Thanks, Andrew

Sponsored Links
I built decking last year. I used proper end grain on all cut faces and seems more permanent. It's worth using it and doing it correctly. Also, I used the ultimate decking oil last summer and end of this winter. It doesn't seem to bear the water like the normal Ronseal decking oil does. I'm not going to use the ultimate oil again.

I built decking last year. I used proper end grain on all cut faces and seems more permanent. It's worth using it and doing it correctly. Also, I used the ultimate decking oil last summer and end of this winter. It doesn't seem to bear the water like the normal Ronseal decking oil does. I'm not going to use the ultimate oil again.

Thanks Ian, I did end up ordering the End Grain Protector, so will be using that. Bad news on the Ultimate Protection Oil though, I had read quite a lot of positive opinions on it, so ordered that as well.

Sponsored Links
I used the ultimate twice since October and each time I did it how it's suggested with 2 coats. I also read positive things about it and thought that because it's water based it'll take longer to dry and therefore penetrate deeper. Maybe it does, but the normal oil does make the water bead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back