Decking on 3x2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know the standard for a decking sub frame is to use 6x2 joists. That's unrealistic for me though as I have a concrete base and bifold doors that limit the size of the joist I use. I thought I'd get away with 4x2 but even that is too deep.

The decking is going on an uneven concrete base (old garage used to be there).

How do I make this work without it feeling like a trampoline?

Sponsored Links
How uneven is the floor? Will there be plenty of points of contact all along? Or will there be lon lengths of unsupported timber?

If a lot of it is going to be touching, I'd say just use plenty of noggins and you may get away with it.

I assume leveling or lowering the concrete floor is not a feasible option for you?

It's too unlevel to put joists straight on the base.

I'm putting decking down as a cheaper, quicker alternative to flagging...so taking up the concrete base would take to much time and money (skip and tool hire) to justify.

I'm going to put the joists at 400mm centres....just not sure how many supports and noggins I should put in?

Area will be 6m x 4m.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back