Decking paint or oil..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would you recommend to cover new decking boards. l have just put some decking down in the back garden and now need to protect it and would like to know what would be the best option for protecting the wood.
What make is best to get and where is the best place to get it, the size of my decking is 3m x 3m so how much would l need and how many coats should l put on it...

Sponsored Links
Most of the paint is water based and will most definately peel off after a couple of years. The wood will expand and contract so much that the paint wont be be able to cope with it....regardless of what it says on the tin !!! Far better to use decking oil which will penetrate to wood and stay on !!!

First decking I had was painted. Once it starts to flake, you're stuffed. No way I was going to waste my life on my hands and knees stripping it out from all of those lovely groves. Ripped the decking out and used the wood for other things (raised beds, etc), put new decking down and used oil ever since.

l'm tempted to use oil but l would like to use a oak stain on the deck... Can you buy a decking oil with a stain in it, if not can l use decking oil first and will a decking stain be able to go on top of this after...

Sponsored Links
You can buy oil with stains in it visit b+q and you will see cuprional tins about £32, I used the acorn one and it looks quite nice

Just bought Cuprinol decking oil & Protector (Natural Oak), has anyone used this oil before .Could do with some feedback on how it looks and if it stays ok, not flaking and protects against the winter weather and rain...

Just bought Cuprinol decking oil & Protector (Natural Oak), has anyone used this oil before .Could do with some feedback on how it looks and if it stays ok, not flaking and protects against the winter weather and rain...

It's great stuff - I love the colour :D

I did my deck - and my teak patio furniture - best they've looked for years :LOL:

Can't comment on longevity of oil finish - only built deck this summer...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back