Decorating onto plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The DIY book says I can cover the joints in the plasterboard with joint cement, jointing tape, and more joint cement, than primer and then paint directly on, but the man in B&Q advised lining paper or skimming over the plasterboard. Which is right? Or will either do?

Sponsored Links
If you are reffering to how to prepare new tapered edge gyproc so that it can be painted ! Then what to do is buy Ames Tape (Paper Tape) & apply Paper Tape on all joints (but not on external corners) with Gyproc Joint Cement & allow to dry. Then apply two coats of Gyproc Jiont Filler on all flat joints & nail/screw holes (not internal or external corners though) & make sure you feather them off with your trowel & allow to dry. Then apply Gyproc Jiont cement on all jionts (apart from external corners). Now buy Gyproc Ames Tape Corner Galavanized Bead & cut to size with clippers. Then apply with Gyproc Joint Filler & allow to dry. Then apply another coat of Gyproc Joint Filler on top of external corners & allow to dry. Then apply a coat of Gyproc Joint Cement on top of external corners & allow to dry. Then sand down all newly filled areas. Then buy some Dulux Trade Supermatt & apply first coat and follow thinning down instructions on advized paint etc. HOWEVER if the gyproc is NOT tapered edge then it is advisable to plaster full gyproc. ALSO DO NOT APPLY LINING PAPER OVER GYPROC AS IT IS COMPLETELY POINTLESS ! ! !

Thanks Third Eye. When you say not advisable, I'm not a perfectionist, and clearly an amateur, so if they are the straight edge boards (rather than tapered edge), will filling the joint not work, or just not look perfect? I have an overly ambitious boyfriend who jumps into things without checking exactly what's needed first, then we have to pick up the pieces! :rolleyes:

Yes, Ames Taping will work on Square Edge Gyproc. Though the problem is the flat edges that get filled will be slightly proud from the wall. This will cause the Flat Filled Joints to be seen once painted & even more seen when painted with an Soft Sheen or Silk. Even worse seen if you decide to have wall lights. Also lamps will show it up as well. Hence why it is wise to completely plaster over square edge gyproc. And to ames tape over tapered edge gyproc, if u see what i mean.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back