Plasterboard & (ply)wood joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Does anyone have any advice on how to get a clean joint between plasterboard and wood, mostly plywood?

I have several joints where plywood walls meet plasterboard ceilings. My first choice would have been cover the ply with plasterboard and corner tape / fill as usual, but due to existing door and window frames the extra depth of plasterboard isn't an option.

I've primed all the surfaces and caulked the gaps - is it possible to tape and fill the joints as usual or will the filler flake from the ply?

Also, does anyone have any tips of how to get a clean joint between plasterboard and door frames / window in-goes as I'm trying to avoid using facings? I've had some success with a simple butt joint, caulk, skim of filler and paint but I've had to return to several of them to repair (probably inevitable) cracks. I think the cracks are due to the 2x4 frames settling in and drying out.

Does anyone know of a better way?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Sponsored Links
Just a bit of input from me, not sure about tape and fill onto ply but if there isn't a way then coving could be you answer.

Is there s reason for not using architrave?

Pigeon85 said:
Is there s reason for not using architrave?
No reason other than I don't like coving!

I'm trying, if at all possible, to get nice clean angles - the rest of the house looks great with taped corners where plasterboard meets plasterboard. I think one or two sections of architrave where there's plywood wall sections would look out of place.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back