Plasterboard joint filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

I am putting up a plasterboard ceiling and from a mixture of uneven walls and joists parts of plasterboard are up to 10mm apart as apposed to the recommend 3mm. Should i still treat them as regular joints and fill them with joint filler then put joint tape over? or is there something else I would need to do, is there any particular product you can suggest I use? because this is the first time i have done this before i am paranoid that once the ceiling is skimmed cracks will appear where the plasterboard meets. The ceiling will be skimmed so there is no need for it to be too neat. Also would i use the same method for when the pasteboard doesn't meet the old wall too well, due to old uneven walls? We will be putting up cornices as well so these don't really need to be neat either.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fill up the wide joints with Gyproc joint filler and allow it to set, (about an hour/ish) then you can put your tapes onto the joint/s as normal. Are you going to be skimming the ceiling yourself or is someone else going to do it??? Even though the ceiling will be skimmed, always keep the preperation neat and tidy, because a thin skim of plaster,will "not" hide a multitude of sins.... you can also do the same prep at the top of the walls,,, again keep it tidy.
Bonding plaster will also plug wide joints.......As before,always let it set first.

Roughcaster.

I wont be skimming it as well, I'm making a dogs dinner of the plasterboard so i don't think I will be able to skim it as well! :)

Would I be better off using the paper joining tape or the self adhesive fiber tape?

I have to trim down a bit of plasterboard which i have already put up but the problem is I will have to trim down the length of the plasterboard which is covered with paper. only a thin sliver of a corner will need to come off but would this cause any problems as it is the papered edge?

Yeah, all i meant by no need to be too neat was that I dont need to feather the joints up at all because the skim will do that job wont it?.

I know a lot of people who do taping, that wont use fibre tape but use paper tape instead. Most of the joins in plasterboard that I plaster over are scrimmed (hessian), but I use bonding plaster as an undercoat giving me extra thickness to cover the scrim, which is a lot thicker material than fibre tape...... I do use fibre tape, but if I have a gut feeling of a problem, i'll not use it.... There's no problem in using paper tape over a joint, even if you are going to skim, as long as it's well bedded on and covered over. I sometimes use paper tape, especially over a pre filled, extra wide joint but I paint PVA onto the back of the tape, before I bed it into the joint filler I put on first, I would prep this the day before, so it's dried out, prior to plastering. Everybody has their own way of doing things but it works...... If you fill an extra wide joint first, as I said, let it set, and then put your tapes and cover them using joint filler. The plasterer would then take it from there.... Most plasterers also like to do their own prep....To answer the your last question, always remove any wallpaper if you are going to plaster or tape, that way, the plaster/tape is attached to the wall surface itself.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
So just so i have it right are you saying the best way to fill in my gaps (includung the larger ones) is to fill them, i asume note quite to the edge to alow for the tape. then put pva on the back of the paper tape and put over the set filler then fill over that as well? i assume it is better to get this all as level to the plasterboard as possible?

Stage 1::Fill up the extra wide joint with joint filler or bonding plaster, and "let it set"....Stage 2:: When it has set, put some freshly mixed joint filler along the joint with a trowel or a filling knife (flexible scraper), and bed the PVA'D paper tape into the wet filler and flush/cover it over with the same filler,,, then let it set,,,, Stage 3::you're now ready for the plasterer....You wouldn't normally put paper tapes on using PVA, but if I'm going to plaster over them, I want them to be well stuck and bedded in, so wet pva'd tape, bedded into wet filler, is my thinking, and then plastered over.

Roughcaster.

Thanks for your help roughcaster

one last question tho which has been troubling me a bit about filling the gaps. if the tape is going over the gap then it will be attached to the plasterboard either side of the gap, so im assuming my filling doesn't need to be 100% flush with the plasterboard? because the tape wont be and i would still need to put filler over the tape

Thanks for your help roughcaster

one last question tho which has been troubling me a bit about filling the gaps. if the tape is going over the gap then it will be attached to the plasterboard either side of the gap, so im assuming
my filling doesn't need to be 100% flush with the plasterboard? because the tape wont be and i would still need to put filler over the tape

Spot on Blunda. When the tape is on, put some more filler over the tape to bring it down flush with the plasterboard. The plasterer would do the rest.. Need any more info, just ask.;)

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back