Decorators Caulk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

When is decorators caulk used and when would I use a flexible polyfilla or are they essentially the same thing?

What would you run around the edges of skirting or architrave before painting? I assume it would need to be a little flexible to account for any frame movement?

Is caulk flexible at all?

Sponsored Links
Decorators caulk is flexible and is generally used to run around skirting and architrave prior to painting. Becuase it's acrylic material, it can be overpainted (unlike silicon based sealants) Caulk can be used to fill very small cracks in plaster etc prior to painting. ;) ;)

Decorators caulk is suitable for use on joints such as skirting, architrave, window frames, coving etc.
It can be painted, but I wouldn't recommend it for cracks in plaster mid-wall as it will always show up due to the differing texture of the two materials. It won't stand out so much if used for cracks in the corners where two plastered walls meet.
Some caulks are more flexible than others. Most are +/- 5% but others have up to 12.5% movement.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back