Decorators Caulk Cracking and Crazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can anyone suggest a way to resolve decorators caulk from cracking and crazing, recently painted some skirting boards and architrave with water based eco satin finish white paint on top of back filling with dulux decorators caulk, wall area s painted with water based ecosure emulsion, is there a way of using a primer to rectify the problem say using a zinsser shellac based B I N primer without going to the trouble of cutting the caulk out and starting again any advice would be gratefully appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
BIN or any oilbased paint should suffice.

I first encountered this years ago with Dow Cornings Painter's Mate when painting Dulux Trade emulsion over it. I rang Dow and they blamed Dulux. I rang dulux and they blamed Dow...

I tried a few other brands the thicker ones tended to not crack (but were too dry at the edges), some of the runnier ones even cracked before painting. The a supplier recommended Everbuild 125. I haven't used anything else since that day.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adh...lks/Decorators Caulk 310ml/d180/sd3318/p26394

Toolstation sell it for £1.24

To date I have not needed to pre-prime the 125 nor have I seen it change the colour of the emulsion over time.

Agree with opps thats the best i've found. I do run a coat of gardz over it once dry and havn't had any problems and i think the gardz would work well over any caulk as it seals it because in my experience its usually the paint that cracks not the caulk.

Thanks Opps and Dcdec, i ll give that ever flex 125 a go in the future in the mean time i ll prime over the caulk with a B I N primer and hope it does the trick, never heard of this Gardz product though could you elaborate for future reference thanks again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back