Painting over Decorators Caulk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently papered a room and used decorators caulk to finish corners and just fill in some tiny gaps between sheets of paper. All left to dry for over 48 hours. I then painted using emulsion and have found crazy paving style cracks all around the caulk. I understand this is down to emulsion and I wanrt to know exactly which paint I can use to cover it before repainting with emulsion.

Thoughts are:

ACRYLIC PRIMER UNDERCOAT
Eggshell oil based wood/metal paint.

Appreciate some help please

Sponsored Links
The degree of crazing varies depending on the quality of emulsion and the brand/quality of the caulk.

I ordinarily use the Everbuild 125 caulk and Dulux Trade emulsion. I did recently use 125 and Dulux retail, it crazed. I applied a coat of Zinsser BIN and then coats of emulsion. BIN dries really fast and can be over painted after about half an hour. When working with BIN, use a throw away brush or household ammonia to clean the brush.

Oil based paints will work but if the emulsion is thin, you might get fish-eyes unless you wait ages for the solvents to be released form the oil based paint.

A good quality acrylic undercoat or eggshell will probably suffice as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back