Default on or off for Smart devices?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Power cut, 2:37 am, the battery chargers switched off, the microwaves loss their time, my bedroom lights switched off and stayed off, wife's bedroom lights switched on. Landing light with smart relay stayed off, all smart sockets and socket adaptors switched off. Not checked Sky box, but likely switched off, Cooker seemed unaffected, leaf digital clock unaffected.

Internet had to re-boot, so zigbee was off line, so until re-booted could not switch wife's lights off, my lights (Energenie) remote control worked as soon as power restored, but wife's room (zigbee) the remote did not work until system had rebooted.

Clearly voice commands with Nest Mini's also failed.

I see why smart bulbs default on, it means turn off at switch, then back on and they work, but I could not remember where they were fitted to turn them off again. Are all smart bulbs default on? Or can you get default off as well?

Sponsored Links
The Philips Hue bulbs give you a choice of what happens when power is restored:
1. Default. (on at full brightness and the bulb's default colour setting)
2. Last on. (on with the last used colour & brightness)
3. Power loss recovery. (back to the state it was in before the power loss)
4. Custom. (you choose colour and brightness)

You have 2 choices.
1. Get a UPS.
2. Replace all that so called smart stuff with conventional.

Sponsored Links
A friend of mine had a similar issue recently, as in powercut...

However the two of them ONLY use their phones to do all of the controlling and it is the only way everything has been installed/set-up.

During the powercut it wasn't a problem, however when the power came back on the router didn't. The only controllable lights in the house were bathroom (which is actually on a FCU on the shower pull switch), downstairs toilet on a PIR and cooker hood.

Even the table lights dotted around the lounge, conservatory and bedrooms didn't work as they are on 5A sockets.

Last edited:
Last house often with a power cut the RCD would trip, we would only know power back on when street lamps came on etc.

So today far better, at least power does auto turn back on. But not the main light which caused a problem, it was plug in lamps, why she called me not sure, I think the main problem was lights came on before the router had booted, so remote control did not work, don't think she realised due to power cut, just she woke up with lights on and normal methods would not turn them off.

Shouting at google Nest Mini's does not work until they have booted up. Think she thought I was the cause of lamps coming on, good job grandchildren weren't here or they would have been blamed.

Power cut, 2:37 am, the battery chargers switched off, the microwaves loss their time, my bedroom lights switched off and stayed off, wife's bedroom lights switched on. Landing light with smart relay stayed off, all smart sockets and socket adaptors switched off. Not checked Sky box, but likely switched off, .... Internet had to re-boot, so zigbee was off line, so until re-booted could not switch wife's lights off, my lights (Energenie) remote control worked as soon as power restored, but wife's room (zigbee) the remote did not work until system had rebooted. .... Clearly voice commands with Nest Mini's also failed.
There may be a moral to be derived from all this - good old-fashioned light switches work fine immediately after a power cut :)

KInd Regards, John

Power cut, 2:37 am, the battery chargers switched off, the microwaves loss their time, my bedroom lights switched off and stayed off, wife's bedroom lights switched on.
If there was a power cut, how did the wife's bedroom lights switch on? Surly these require power to be on?

If there was a power cut, how did the wife's bedroom lights switch on? Surly these require power to be on?
He's talking about the situation after power was restored.

As I said, with good old-fashioned switches, the situation would obviously be exactly the same after power was restored as it was before the power cut - eric's problem only arose because of the 'new-fangled' switching devices involved :)

Kind Regards, John

My home automation is set up to reset the bulbs to the state they were in before the power cut, as soon as it gets control of the lights again. The Philips Hue bulbs reset automatically to the previous state when power returns. Cheaper bulbs are reset by Home Assistant, they might have the wrong state for a short time while everything reboots but it all gets corrected pretty quickly without any manual intervention.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back