Dehumidifier in a newly plastered room.

you could get the water co to test the water; they can tell if it is from a mains leak (chlorinated) or a sewer leak (soapy) or just groundwater. You might be lucky.
I asked the council who said it's basically streamwater & to be left alone as you can't beat it. They'd done work in that area 30 years ago to do with all that.

I also contacted the water board but they put me off. I didn't want to get the house/area 'blacklisted' as a flood risk area or something.

Others including builders living on our street have looked into it apparently & it's the only view that comes back - can't do anything about it, learn to live with it.

I don't know how OTHERS walls are, i only know about mine & our neighbours. I do know other houses have water under the boards but just don't know about their walls.

Independent damp man said about a plastic sheeting onto the walls with p/board on top to stop moisture getting through. I found this sheeting is quite expensive. Still, we don't have the funds to go down this road now after shelling out over £1k for the room being done & nearly £3k for the drive.

Sponsored Links
Sorry if I missed the detail but if you haven't used sand and cement with a goo waterproofed you will always get it soaking up whatever moisture is present.

Sponsored Links
I don't know what that stuff was on the lower half to be honest. I do know that it didn't suffer damp & it was rock solid so i don't know why they removed it. I can hazard a guess - that it was easier for them installing boards.

They also didn't chip off the right of the chimney breast which i was lead to believe they would.

There's a few issues they've left behind & they're now not returning contact. For me what impresses is not necessarily the work, it's the 'aftercare'. This one has been non existent.

I'm pretty gutted tbh. I think things may have well been made worse & we've no money to put it right, so we've no choice but to live with it now & see how it pans out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back