dell inspiron 3200

Ah, a maths co-pro. The 387 was it?

Back in those days I was an Amiga man. No in-built maths co-pros in our machines either, or the fpu to give it its alternative name.

I remember getting my CDTV... 650mb?! On one disc?! Are you INSANE?!

Of course the dual layer DVD burners have now come out. 8.5GB on one side of one disc. Yay!

Sponsored Links
Twas 387 I am sure.

A sad thought, with the proliferation of digi cameras ... where will all the old photographs be in future years ? .... Hardly get the family around the pc or tv to browse them ... off cd or dvd, Not likely to print and store them either. Be rummaging through the old boxes in vain :cry:
Longevity of data in these formats under some doubt ? ....
My old company, demanded tape backups with no reliance on disc media.

Perhaps then we all be carrying little hand held computers, server in home .. wireless, we just log on then I suppose ... even more private data in jeopardy !!
P

There is definitely something to be said for tactile media. That is, photographs, CDs, books. Things you can hold. Whilst you can store the same information on a secure server somewhere on the internet, or back up on discs, the same "feel" of it isn't there. There is no soul to a packet that has been routed halfway round the world to get to your TV.

However, the benefit of digital cameras is that you take pictures of things you wouldn't with a film camera. Because you don't have to pay for developing.

I have a digital camcorder. The only problem I have with it is, I feel that I must do justice to the technology by firewiring anything I film into my PC, editing, adding transitions etc, then making a DVD. But years ago it was sufficient to just transfer from the camcorder to VHS and store it, raw.

I read an interesting letter in a hifi magazine recently. A reader was observing that most record producers now get too tied up in making the most of the technology instead of just making music. The dynamic range of Phil Spector's music was only a few dB, yet with Super Audio CD now we have 120dB or so of range. But the old "wall of sound" recordings can bring about emotions and feelings, make you feel happy despite its now comparatively poor sound quality. Reminds me of that episode of "Third Rock from the Sun" where the head alien says "Hmmm, CDs. When will humans discover the superior sound of vinyl?" :LOL:

My old Olympus OM-1 bought for a song in Suanapore circa 1981, feels and handles like a solid piece of excellent engineering ... whereas my recent Oly' Camedia 50-50 digi, having a plethora of 'bells and whistles' feels very lightweight .... Bought a digital cam-corder out there in '94, a JVC almost 1/3 the UK price !! BTW, remains in excellent working order after 10 years !!
One could drool over the electronics shops all day, between supping the 'slings' ! .... delights of the mysterious east !

P

Sponsored Links
"Back in Nagasaki where the fellas chew tobaccy and the women whicky-whacky woo"

Not hugely relevant, other than it is a song about the wonders of the east written in the 1930s.

I think what has happened is, the manufacturers realised that 95% of people don't keep a piece of technology for 20-25 years so they only need to make them sturdy enough to survive 4-5 years (if that).

Interestingly, many people I know of my age-group, their fathers (my father included) bought SLR cameras either whilst the mother was in labour or very shortly before. What was this 1977-1982 spending spree on SLR cameras?! Was there some sudden decrease in the price of the technology, similar to the digital camera rush of the early 00's?

I bought a Sony mini-DV camcorder in December and it is great. Feels pretty sturdy despite being similar in size to the remote control it came with. And thanks to the steadyshot it isn't susceptible to the image shake that the old Video Walkman cameras were.

Just mesmerised back then, at far eastern prices ... 'Wait sir, I throw in Zuiko f1.4 lense, leather case .... skylight filter and programmable flash unit, same price"
How could one resist at half UK price ?

P

pipme said:
How could one resist at half UK price ?
P

Tell that to anyone who has returned from the east with galloping crotch-rot. ;)

Question remains the same '..How could one resist at half UK price ?"

The 'extras' could become a problem !!

P

Sponsored Links
Back