Demolishing and removing an old patio. Is it worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice...

The last few weeks I have been sketching out garden layouts so I can get some quotes to help do the work (patio, pathway, fence repairs).

My dilemma is whether to remove the patio at the back of the garden?

On the one hand it is well-built and solid, with a thick concrete base. However I would like to use that area to grow vegetables and an espalier against the garage.

Any idea how much it would cost to remove this patio approximately, and restore it to ground level so I can add pea gravel and raised beds?

A photo is below... It's the patio at the back by the white garage.

90826.jpg

Sponsored Links
What time of day was the photo taken? If the patio was put there to catch the sun at an opportune time of day, I'd be tempted to leave it, and sit on it :)

Cheers
Richard

Why not clear some of the shrubbery on the right at the back and use that instead? Or maybe get a second hand hammer-drill and chip away at it, taking a few buckets of rubble at a time to the recycling centre. By next spring you'd only need to buy some topsoil

Sponsored Links
Yes - you're right Richard. From 3pm onwards the rest of the garden is in shade, as there is a block of flats behind us higher on the hill. The patio gets afternoon sun. However I never sit there as it is too far from the house. I'd rather use it for vegetables or fruit that needs sun, and put in a nice wooden chair so I can enjoy the sun from that.

The shrubbery on the right isnt as good for veg as it is shaded by the fence on the RHS until mid afternoon. The area to the left of the garden is sunniest most of the day so I wanted to keep that for flowers and veg.

Though I'm not a huge fan of concrete I'd personally leave it where it is and use containers for growing in. Much less work and if you leave at any point there's still a patio as a selling point.

Actually it does have flagstones over the concrete now. It's about 15 years old, crazy paving, but its in good condition.

I would definitely leave it all in place apart from the fact I really want to grow more vegetables and that is the perfect spot. Building beds on top of the patio would mean they were a lot higher than I'd like...

Concrete removal is not exactly skilled labour, so if you're up for a little exercise it would surely be much cheaper to DIY: hire a skip, wheelbarrow and a hammer drill/breaker for a weekend. Invite a couple of healthy friends/neighbours around, get in a case of beer and fire up the BBQ? Dont forget the Radox bath bubbles though!
If wanting the easy life, be sure to get at least a couple of quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back