Design of boiler stove central heating system

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Can I ask those experienced in uncontrolled heat sources if my plan for my wood boiler stove central heating system is sound, please? I am a little out of my depth.

Although sealed systems seem preferred, I’m opting for a vented system because we have an unreliable electrical power supply and I want a system which will fail safe as far as possible.

I’m splitting the system into primary and secondary.

Primary is gravity, 28mm copper pipes, R uninsulated, boiler stove F+R to a buffer cylinder coil, two floors directly above (4.5m head) with a 50°C anti-condensation valve across F+R close to the stove. F vents 450mm above F+E tank (20l), F+E tank is 1.5m above buffer cylinder. R is fed from F+E tank at buffer cylinder, or could be fed at stove level, ie, lowest point, if better.

Stove (Flamma 14CS) is rated at 10kW to water, buffer (100l) is rated at 25kW (Kospel SWK100).

This primary circuit is not reliant on electrical power, has minimal thermal inertia, protects stove boiler against condensation and buffers between stove fuel recharges.

Secondary is pumped, pump will have battery UPS back-up for several hours in case of power failure. F+R in 22mm multilayer, fed from same F+E tank, with separate vent line, 450mm head above F+E, and separate fill line to R downstream of pump. Pump is 1.5m below F+E tank, in R close to buffer.

Between secondary circuit F+R are 7 radiators and one HW coil in a HW cylinder. The capacity of the radiators (not including the HW coil) is 10kW at Delta T 40°C.

Thus the system should be able to handle the heat the stove can produce, even in power failure, provided the radiators will achieve delta T of 40°C, which is a bit I’m unsure about. Should the primary boil, water from the F+E can continue to flow into the system, and steam escape from the F+E vent. Should the buffer cylinder boil, steam can escape to the F+E vent and the buffer will be replenished from the F+E.

Set up is envisaged as balancing radiators such that heat is equalised in all rooms with lock shield valves, no TRVs, such that heating the house is proportional to firing the stove. Top temperatures in primary and secondary will be monitored or alarms set so that potential overheats are clear.

Does this plan sound OK? Can it be improved? Are there any problems?

Many thanks,

Louise

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back