Design of Ring Final Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: Read all the books spend 5 years at college and no...
still dont know the full understanding of designing a ring circuit!!!

Whats the total load?
How do apply the diversity?
What will my design current be?
Does this effect my earth loop impedance when calculating R1 + R2 Value???

Dont misunderstand me I do know but I'm just testing!! Reply now if you dare!!

Sponsored Links
For a 2.5mm² ring circuit, the Ib (design current) = In (nominal current) = 32Amps.
No diversity is allowed for each individual circuit (so you have to assume 32A load for each final ring circuit). If , however, you have more than one ring, you can apply diversity of 40% for all but the largest circuits when taking into account overall current demand of the installation.
Sound confusing? It is - see p84-87 and App 8 of OSG for more.

mark the spark said:
Whats the total load?
you don't know so you assume its the breaker rating

How do apply the diversity?
none within the circuit

For multiple rings fed from a board there are some diversity guidelines in the regs but they grossly overestimate for typical modern domestic use of rings,largely because they make no allowance for the fact that many rings aren't covering anything like the max allowed floor area. Many typical houses come out way over 100A yet the standard 60-100A services are just fine.

mark the spark said:
What will my design current be?
see above comment about total load.

mark the spark said:
Does this effect my earth loop impedance when calculating R1 + R2 Value???
no but the existance of paralell paths from it being a ring does, the values will be worst at the midpoint of the ring so you devide the length of the ring by 4 (devide by 2 for paralell paths and 2 for the fact that the midpoint is half a ring length from the origin) to get actual worst case values.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
no but the existance of paralell paths from it being a ring does, the values will be worst at the midpoint of the ring so you devide the length of the ring by 4 (devide by 2 for paralell paths and 2 for the fact that the midpoint is half a ring length from the origin) to get actual worst case values.

Hmmm...imo the R1+R2 values will be more-or-less the same wherever you measure in the ring. If a socket is near the CU, then it has one leg that is short and one leg that is long...in otherwords, they all equal (r1+r2)/4 wherever they are located. True?
It's the spurs that will have the higher reading, and you take the 'worst-case' of these to put down as your final figure for the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back