Dewalt dcn692 nailer struggles with ring shanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My framing nailer works brilliantly with regular 90mm 3.2mm nails, or 70mm ringshanks, but leaves 90mm ring shanks 2mm proud.

It has a 5ah battery which I've experimented with keeping topped up , but it doesn't really make a difference. Are these nails simply beyond what it's capable of, or any tricks/suggestions? Vasaline or ky-jelly?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's not man enough for the 90mm ringshanks even the i360 paslode struggles with them and they will knacker the gun

Is your gun fully run in? Up to about 5,000 to 6,000 nails the DCN692 often struggles to sink 90mm nails of any type. The other issue can be contamination of the drive wheel (the wheel which powers the drive pin). Lubricants, dust and rust (through damp storage) will all give you problems

Last edited by a moderator:
Its just a crappy design.
Gas guns are best.

Sponsored Links
And will be banned around about the same time as we ban petrol cars. I presume your comments are based on a deep technical knowledge of the design coupled with extensive personal use experience and that you intend to follow up.that crass, throw away remark with some details to back up your position. Or was it just another statement based on complete ignorance of the product and bigotry?

And will be banned around about the same time as we ban petrol cars. I presume your comments are based on a deep technical knowledge of the design coupled with extensive personal use experience and that you intend to follow up.that crass, throw away remark with some details to back up your position. Or was it just another statement based on complete ignorance of the product and bigotry?

Banned? You mean you won't be able to buy the gas?

Guy at work had one. Lasted a few weeks.
Pile of junk.
And the best gas gun out there at the moment is Senco.
We go by experience.

Hikoki and milwaukee have new piston driven machines available and no gas.
The hikoki is heavy and cumbersome.
And feels off balance with the large battery.

Last edited:
Like it or not we are now approaching a period when petrol powered vehicles are going to be banned. When they go you can bet your bottom dollar that other products using petroleum-derived hydricarbon fuels (like gas nailers) will get the chop on environmental grounds. I wouldn't worry quite yet, though , it'll be a decade or two based on current thinking (although if climate change speds up I expect that will change, too)

Guy at work had one. Lasted a few weeks.
Pile of junk.
And the best gas gun out there at the moment is Senco.
We go by experience.
Had one for 5 years. Many fewer problems than I ever experienced with three Paslode gas nailers, one Senco, four Rawl and one Hitachi gas nailer of my own over about a 25 year period. Used multiple hired in or contractor-owned gas guns (mainly Paslode) over about 13 or 14 years as well. Currently own a Hikoki and three Rawl guns (almost identical to the Senco barring the colour). My personal gun is the Hikoki and I've just ordered a second one. The DW served me well, but in the end I decided the Hikoki was a better gun, particularly in view of the nailing rate it can achieve with 50mm ring shanks on flooring (a current requiremdnt)

I go by personal experience, not that if others, because I've experienced too many people who "diss" a tool shen the isue is them, not the tool

Today to get a job done two of us fired in just under 10k 50mm ring shanks using 2 x Paslodes, 1 x Hikoki and 2 x Rawl guns (because ALL non-pneumatic nailers overheat on this sort of task, so we needs lots of them). The Paslodes, as usual, were more temperamental and more of a PIA to use. That enough for you? You aren't the only person doing volume at times.

Fact is that on my current project two chippies working for another of the subs have made and installed thousands of metres of twin skinned structural stud walling, all using those "detestable" DCN692 nailers. They never missed a beat.

For volume, though, pneumatic is king - providing the main contractor will permit it

(because ALL non-pneumztic nailers overheat on this sort of task)

Piles of junk in other words. We don't entertain them.
Have 6 sencos at work.
Only one has failed in 4 years. After it was dropped into 3 feet of filthy water.
And the guy using it jumped in to retreive it. LoL
Far superior than paslode or that dewalt contraption..

Last edited:
As per usual you still haven't addressed WHY you make that fatuous comment. All you are doing is repeating the same comment, that you are right because you say so, which justvdoesn't wash. No justification. No personal experience. Lotd of bigoted opinions. How very woke!

I only use the dcn for one extension a year, and it's not failed yet. No idea if it's run in but it'll sink a regular 90mm below the surface so I have to dial it back.

I'm going to give it another go now that my actual rafter wood has arrived. The floor joist wood that I was struggling with looked like scrag ends due to covid, so probably wetter/older than usual, if that matters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links