DHW Cylinder on Raised Platform. Why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my 1960's house, the cylinder sits directly on the floorboards in the airing cupboard. I have noticed that in more modern properties their cylinders sit on a raised platform about 3-4" off the floor. I assume there is a reason for this, anyone tell me what it is please.

Sponsored Links
i always though it was there for when the cylinder leaks.

easier to replace the stand than the floor boards if they go rotten or warped. nice stable flat base too.

Sponsored Links
Or...

If the modern house has a (useless) chipboard floor, which is not very strong and falls apart when damp, then it is good practice to put a couple of timber bearers under the cylinder. These can be positioned so that they span over two of the floor joists, thus transmitting the weight directly down to the joists, instead of the cylinder being on a bit of chipboard with no joists underneath.

The bearers can be made of any suitable timber lying around the site, and will quite often be made using off-cuts of joists or studs.

The extra height is also handy when manipulating tools round the pipe connections near the bottom of the cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back