DHW for dummies - how should I heat water in my rental flat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just moved into new build flat and struggling to understand modern day heating system - am used to DHW on demand via combi boiler so would be very grateful of any help!

Boiler is Ideal icos HE15, HW tank is Heatrae Sadia Megaflo CL125HE.

What should I use to heat up water - the immersion heater directly or combi boiler?

With boiler on timer, water heats up but boiler seems to run intermittently with ignition light flashing while it's not running.
With immersion switch on the Megaflo tank on water heats up (quickly) and water is eventually scalding hot - have also seen slight drip from T&P relief valve on one occasion.

What's the most efficient and cheapest way to heat the water please folks?

Sponsored Links
Gas is more economical than electric. I don't think your boiler is a combi. It is likely to be either a heat only boiler or a system boiler. The combined temp and pressure relief valve dripping usually indicates that the expansion vessel requires repressurizing. Some cylinder have an integral air bubble instead of an expansion vessel. This needs to be recharged usually annually or bi annually.

..With immersion switch on the Megaflo tank on water heats up (quickly) and water is eventually scalding hot
Sounds like the immersion thermostat is faulty, or wrongly set. More modern ones have an overheat cut-out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back