Immersion + timer help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a new flat. It is fully electric.

I have a Heatrae Sadia Megaflo tank with immersion heaters (top and bottom).

There is a separate Timeguard NTT05 timer for each heater.

I'm trying to figure out how it works.

It seems that no matter the switch setting (timer, on or off) the immersion will fire whenever I use hot water - the smart meter reading shoots up 30 seconds after running some hot water at full blast.

Does this mean the timers are redundant and the immersion will fire whenever I use hot water?

Sponsored Links
Does sound as if the timeswitches are goosed. Do both of them do this?
If its a modern cylinder the maintenance cost of a full cylinder of hot water is quite low.
Interesting those switches are marketed for immersion heaters but limited to 1000w for incandescent lighting (which is also a resistive load).
Is it rented? If yes get onto the landlord. If not, think about replacing with some sort of smart device (if any smart tariffs reappear it'll be easier for you to take advantage of them).

Might be worth checking the temperature set on the immersion heaters (under the cap) - be careful though as there’ll be exposed live wires/terminals.

Do you have an economy 7 / lower night time rate? If not then it doesn't matter.

Sponsored Links
It seems that no matter the switch setting (timer, on or off) the immersion will fire whenever I use hot water - the smart meter reading shoots up 30 seconds after running some hot water at full blast.

That indicates the lower element is turned on.

Some photos of the wiring and the timers would help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back