DHW valve questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone! Just signed up and first post in this forum :)

I've recently moved into a house and noticed couple of issues in my central heating/hot water system. I've tried to gather as much information as I can from the posts in this forum and elsewhere, so some clear up would be appreciated.

I have a sealed system with an Ideal boiler. There are two expansion vessels (one red for CH, one white for hot water pressure?). I can post a picture if necessary.

These are my problems:

1. I have a constant stream of water (low flow) through tundish. I noticed the water is always cold. This dripping wasn't present when I first moved in about a month ago. I tried opening the pressure relief valves to no avail. My understanding is I should: first check white vessel's air pressure, then replace pressure relief valve (right under the vessel) and if none worked replace the pressure reducing valve (cold water inlet just before the white vessel). Is this correct?

2. When checking pressure relief valves, I noticed both the red capped (for CH red vessel) and the black capped (under white vessel) when turned let out water as expected. However, the t&p relief valve on the side of the tank won't do anything when turned. I gather this is a potentially dangerous fault and I have to replace it ASAP, is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Just noticed, the pressure reducing valve and relief valves are actually a 2-piece combination valve from manufacturer (Ariston). The t&p valve on the cylinder is also factory-fitted.

The whole setup is only 6 years old and if my assumptions above are correct, it makes me wonder why both of these should go at around the same time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back