Diabolical VRT340F Vaillant timer - how to replace it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched the forums here and found the wireless timer/thermostat I have, the Vaillant vrt340f (typo corrected), described as 'diabolical'. I could not agree more. I build and program computers and I have never come across a device so infuriatingly hard to use.

My heating comes on in the middle of the night. When the weather is boiling the rads are on, when it's freezing they are off. The only function that is easy to understand and program is the holiday setting. The rest of it is a nightmare.

I want to replace it. It is controlling a Vaillant 837e combi. Apparently I can take out the rf receiver unit from the boiler and replace it with a clunky 24 hr mechanical timer from Vaillant. Nothing in between.

I just had a very good plumber here who did a great job replacing a Saniflo but when I showed him the boiler problem he just scratched his head. His trip to his supplier came up with the advice about the mechanical timer, and that's it.

Before I installed the Vaillant combi I used to have a Drayton 7 day 24/7 timer, that was simple to operate and use, practically foolproof. There must be some way I can use something similar with this Vaillant!

All help and suggestions gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Do we assume it is a Turbomax Plus 837e?

You could always fit a Honeywell CM927.

sorry - was using a laptop computer and didn't see the second line of your reply! Does the Honeywell unit replace the timer and transmit to the RF receiver the same way?

Sponsored Links
are you sure it's a VRT30 or do you mean a VRT360F? the VRT30 is a thermostat only.

It's a VRT340F, like the heading says. Combined thermostat and timer.

There is an RF module plugged into the front of the boiler panel that receives its signal.

Ideally I would like to find a replacement programmer/thermostat like the Honeywell 627 that would transmit to the Vaillant receiver, but I doubt that is possible. Presumably I will have to replace the module with another receiver (the Honeywell unit comes with its own receiver).

I would like to know how I might connect the Honeywell 627 to the Vailant 837. I found another thread on here where someone had done that but it sounded like they had taken the front panel off to get to the wiring. I think that would be beyond my competence. However I'd be happy to get a plumber in if I could tell them exactly what I wanted done and had chosen the timer myself (the Honeywell unit seems to be quite well reviewed by users).

How do you know it isn't faulty? I own an ecotec 837 with a VRT360F connected and it has never been right. Date never seems right however many times I set it; everything else is ok though so I am not bothered to change it. If it was as cocked as yours though I'd be getting a new one...

It seems to work okay, and the boiler gets the signals. It's the programming that stumps me. I want the heating on twice a day and once at weekends - a pretty simple setup. But the 340f has its own presets - which seem to assume that everyone gets up at six am and goes to bed at half ten - and programming an alternative routine and getting it to stick is like translating Ulysses into Sanskrit.

The time the radiators came on during the night, it turned out that someone (Me? God knows) had hit a switch that kept it stuck permanently on 'Day' setting. Which is ludicrously easy to do. Even if it were faulty, I am sure as heck not replacing it with another Vaillant.

The Honeywell has its own receiver unit that fits under or beside the boiler.

The 360 model is for Ecotec's only, whilst the 340 is for Ecomax's and Turbomax's.

I do not have a copy of the 340 instructions, otherwise I would take you through the setting up.

If it is like the 360, then it is a piece of P ;)

Not sure what those numbers (340, 360) you quote refer to. I have the manuals for the 837e boiler, which have wiring diagrams. I presume the Honeywell 927 timer unit comes with wiring diagrams.

If installation is as easy as you suggest I will happily give it a go. I installed the previous Drayton 7 day timer myself without blowing anything up (touches wood).

340 = Vaillant VRT340

360 = Vaillant VRT360

Honeywell CM 927 requires L & N to operate the receiver unit, then a switched connection between terminals 3 & 4 on the boiler pcb and the switch side of the receiver unit.

You will have to remove your 340 from the boiler front first though and remove the link between 3 & 4 on the pcb.

So if I mounted the Honeywell receiver on the wall beside the boiler, say, I would need to (a) remove the 340 receiver (b) change something on the PCB of the receiver (c) remove the boiler front panel and wire the new unit into the boiler (d) replace the panel and (e) replace the 340 receiver?

We fitted a lot of the VRC340f units earlier this century. We moaned at Vaillant about the standard manual and they produced a 'berks guide' for UK customers.

It wasn't an official document but is almost understandable. If you send me a mail at [email protected] I'll send it (Word doc).

Honeywell CM 927 requires L & N to operate the receiver unit, then a switched connection between terminals 3 & 4 on the boiler pcb and the switch side of the receiver unit.

You will have to remove your 340 from the boiler front first though and remove the link between 3 & 4 on the pcb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back