Diagnosing Aqualisa Aquastream shower fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got an electric Aqualisa Aquastream that's been fine for the 2 years I've been in my current house, but it recently started to show early signs of failure - initially, the shower would appear to be switched off (i.e. no flow from the shower head) but the main unit was still humming as if it was running very slowly. Switching it on and off a couple of times shut if off properly. More recently, it sounds like it is struggling when on full power (more noisy than normal) and there is a slight smell of rubber/plastic heating up as if a belt or something was slipping or the motor was struggling.

I'm loathed to by a new one for £300+ when spares are readily available, but I'm not sure how to diagnose the faulty component from here.

Any pointers welcomed - is this common with electric showers in general - is it an Aqalisa "thing" - is there a component that's normally first to go in this type of shower?

(I live in a hard water area if that's useful information)

Best regards

James

Sponsored Links
initially, the shower would appear to be switched off (i.e. no flow from the shower head) but the main unit was still humming as if it was running very slowly.

Dual speed loom fault.
Has water got onto the loom/micro switch ?

More recently, it sounds like it is struggling when on full power (more noisy than normal) and there is a slight smell of rubber/plastic heating up as if a belt or something was slipping or the motor was struggling.

Sounds like the pump/motor assembly at fault more likely due to the first fault.

I'm loathed to by a new one for £300+ when spares are readily available, but I'm not sure how to diagnose the faulty component from here.

Your looking at about £150 in parts.

is this common with electric showers in general - is it an Aqalisa "thing"

This is not an electric shower it's a power shower
The aquastream is a very good shower and been around a long time.

Sponsored Links
The cause looks to have been two fold: The Thermostatic cartridge is leaking where the grey temp control piece meets the main black body of the cartridge - this leak was letting water run straight down over the on-off controls.

Removing the cartridge showed the main problem - the filter was badly clogged with shards of limescale. The shower motor is now running fine (even with the slight leak from the cartridge)

New cartridge ordered - job done.

Thanks again. :D

The Thermostatic cartridge is leaking where the grey temp control piece meets the main black body of the cartridge - this leak was letting water run straight down over the on-off controls.

Quite a common fault.
Looks like you found it in time and managed to save the loom useally takes the loom out.

Damn good shower with an impressive flow rate. Repair by all means ;)

you need to know wether it is the early aquastream or the later model. later model much easier to change the motor.

I read this thread....great...saved me a whole load of cash. Shower worked on normal power but not high power, no water flow issues. After reading this and with the component picture from the aqualisa (http://www.aqualisa.co.uk/parts-store/Controls/Aquastream-Thermo-thermostatic-integral-power-shower/) I took to taking the unit apart....looking at the dual speed loom assembly that contains the switch. It was clear that the high power switch had failed...it made no 'click' noise when pressed. Ordered a replacement loom yesterday for £22 from tradingdepot (http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/product/!!241302!!/) ...it arrived today and took 15 mins to fit. Works perfect again!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back