diagnosing diverter valve problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Rads get hot when the hw only is on, so naturally suspect diverter valve.. system is a yplan open vented btw. This is a new problem though i noticed it a few times last year too. Its happening more now since i drained down and refill system.

What ive noticed though is that when i turn on the boiler from cold, hw only, the first pipe to get warm is actually the outlet from port A! Does that mean the outlet amd return from boiler are plumbed wrong?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
A static visual will se if its connected right.

The dynamic test will see if its operating correctly.

Most three port valves operate correctly when wire correctly.

Tony

Thanks Tony

The boiler is actually some way from the diverter and thepipes are under floorboards. I would have expected first pipe to show warmth would be the middle one, with the pump, regardless of if the diverter functioning correctly or not? Or am i totally wrong on that...

Thanks

I dont understand your vagueness about flow pipes.

Have you changed something perhaps fitting the pump backwards?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sorry, not sure whats vague about it, bassically the pipe without the pump on it heats first. I understood this to be the flow to the rads.

There are 3 pipes associated with the three way diverter right, middle is heat, left is B to HW cylinder and right one is flow to central heating. When i turn on the HW, its the right hand pipe which gets hot first.

Flow direction could be wrong then?

But how do you think the flow direction can have suddenly changed?

Unless you have reversed the pump?

Tony

I havent touched it.

When we had a boiler inspection done last year (when we moved in) my wife dealt with the inspection and as a result things are a bit vague, but he did mention something was reversed and suggested it was plumbed in wrong but wasnt sure. Too vague to go on tbh.

Now i'm seeing the rads heat up with the HW only, its got me looking at the way its setup.

I'll get someone out after i've taken a look at the diverter myself.

You need to see which way the arrow on the pump points to.

It should go to the middle pipe of a three port valve.

Thats assuming that the pump is connected to the flow from the boiler.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back