Diagonal timber where ceiling meets wall - staircase above

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope this is the right place for this query.

I'm currently renovating the lounge in my house and am confused about a particular exposed timber where the ceiling meets the wall. I am wanting to fit coving eventually but I'm unsure whether this timber can be removed.

My staircase has a straight main section and then 1 turn with 3 steps leading to the landing. I have taken up one floorboard on the landing and can see the top of the diagonal timber which meets, but is not connected to, a joist. It goes into the floor space approximately 3 inches.

In the lounge (where the timber is exposed) I chipped away a small amount of plaster where it met the wall and it does not continue for more than 1 inch into the wall.

As it does not seem to be connected to anything and does not run down the entire back of the staircase, I am wondering if it is safe to remove it without weakening the top step or the landing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back