Winder into existing staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,

I'm looking to get started on this project over winter, just hoping for some guidance before i dive in.

The staircase as it currently stands has two straight flights, with a half-landing about 1/3 of the way up. I am looking to change the top 3 steps for a winder, allowing me to move one wall giving me a third bedroom, and also a second bathroom.

I've found a product 'kwikstairs', it seems like it would be the easiest way to go about this.

https://www.diy.com/departments/kwi...hiJSVGEiYBifW-ZEpnsaAhULEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

My rough plan for this is to support the string which is not against the wall (couple of 2x4s down to ground floor/up to first floor landing?) remove treads and risers on the top 3 steps, cut the wall side stringer at same point.

Then mount new winder box, notch newel to sit over landing floorboards, screw through to landing where existing stairs end, and screw onto the wall flush to the cut stringer. The 'floating' stringer id also screw to new newel post.

Does this sound reasonable?

The stairs are 900mm wide, with the treads being 250mm deep. Id be looking to have the winder box 900x750. Is it okay/advisable to have the top step narrower?

Hopefully with the pictures this is alot clearer than I'm describing it!

Attachments

• floorplan old.jpg
    floorplan old.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 284
  • floorplan new.jpg
    floorplan new.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 313
  • stairs 1.jpg
    stairs 1.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 248
  • stairs 2.jpg
    stairs 2.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 339
  • stairs 3.jpg
    stairs 3.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 233
  • stairs 4.jpg
    stairs 4.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 283
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back