Diamond tile drill bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got an Erbauer diamond tile drill bit which I bought recently. I've done porcelain 7 tiles with it and I'm trying to do number 8, but it looks as if the diamond has worn off the the drilling face of the bit. Now there is about 10mm of the shank which has diamond along it, so I did wonder if the diamond basically wears down to that, but perhaps not?

Am thinking of taking it back, but before I do I just wondered what more experienced tile drillers can advise.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've used mine about 4 times so far and sprayed water while cutting. Looks good still last time I used.

Reviews for that bit say cutting reduces after 6 holes

I've got the same one, and the same issue after about 10 holes!
The diamonds have gone from the face but are still on the sides, looks like a bit of a con to make the cutting surface look deeper than it actually is.

IMG_20230422_164041013.jpg

Sponsored Links
No bit lasts forever. Cheap ones have a very short life.

I don't think at £10 it was particularly cheap, having said that, porcelain tiles are seriously hard - they're new to me and I went through a fair few of my normal masonry bits before I realised you need a different approach.

I don't think at £10 it was particularly cheap, having said that, porcelain tiles are seriously hard - they're new to me and I went through a fair few of my normal masonry bits before I realised you need a different approach.
A decent tile bit is about £30 for 6mm.

At least it's not me then!

Well, it isn't really cheap, was £18 for the 7mm bit and it's a bit more than that for a Marcrist. Well I have only got three more to do, so say after spending £800 or so on my porcelain tiles, I'll just factor the cost of a drill bit in for every bathroom I ever do in my house I suppose.

I used a "carbide" (not diamond) point bit made by Bosch at slow speed. Lasted quite a long time.

Well, before I read how much I should be paying for a diamond bit, I bought this on eBay for £5:

Screenshot_20230427-085623.png

It managed (with water cooling) precisely one hole before it was gone.

I managed the other two holes with some crappy masonry bits - starting with a tiny 3mm on hammer. I've found that holding a wet wetwipe round the bit (it soon gets snatched by the bit and stays on) is an effective way of providing cooling. The kit supplied with another drill I've picked up but yet to try is crap, just dribbles water down the wall.

IMG_20230427_090554147.jpg

Well, before I read how much I should be paying for a diamond bit, I bought this on eBay for £5:

View attachment 301934

It managed (with water cooling) precisely one hole before it was gone.

I managed the other two holes with some crappy masonry bits - starting with a tiny 3mm on hammer. I've found that holding a wet wetwipe round the bit (it soon gets snatched by the bit and stays on) is an effective way of providing cooling. The kit supplied with another drill I've picked up but yet to try is crap, just dribbles water down the wall.

View attachment 301939

I have used the Makita one. The water is supposed to dribble down the wall from the reservoir above. That is the whole point of the reservoir (to keep the drill bit wet). To be fair, the holes make it easier to align the bit.

Overall, I was not impressed with it or the quality of the bit.

I only drill tiles a couple of tiles a year (normally 6mm). I am considering buying the arrow head Macrist ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back