Dick's top tip of the day!!

• Thread starter RichieHoneybucket
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
Such a good idea that I've already got one, had it for ages :D

Such a brilliant idea,it's a wonder why the water regs don't allow it.

Why don't they allow it Lee? It's only a temporary installation whilst the system is being filled, then it's removed and taken away, and the filling loop disconnected, once the system is full. Don't see anything wrong with that.

Why don't they allow it Lee? It's only a temporary installation whilst the system is being filled, then it's removed and taken away, and the filling loop disconnected, once the system is full. Don't see anything wrong with that.

As a temp measure the regs have no say, as a permanent fixture they do as the loop is not allowed to be left in place.

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps, I've got 100's of em!!

Whatcha think, could I give my auld mate Tomplum a run for his money??
He'd be a tough one to beat, he's a star is our Thomas.

Tom would no doubt welcome your contribution, but he provides the video/picture which paints a thousand words.

Put your tips on video and the world is your oyster. :LOL:

Would have saved me a lot of time yesterday. Great idea Delta T!

Mr. W.

Tom would be more than welcome to put it on one of his videos. He's a pal of mine & got one of my other tips on another video.
Thanks to everyone for your kind words & interest.

Such a good idea that I've already got one, had it for ages :D

Such a brilliant idea,it's a wonder why the water regs don't allow it.

Sorry fella, I meant to quote the post above yours relating to vein fitted permenatly.

As a temp measure the regs have no say, as a permanent fixture they do as the loop is not allowed to be left in place.
Just out of interest, how many of you pros have been to an unvented system and found the filling loop actually not connected ? I can't help thinking most people would just wonder why the ***** plumber left it off and reconnect it permanently the first time they need to use it.

Here's number 2 & it's a wee cracker;

How to empty any radiator without all that messy draining!!!

Get a 1/2" radiator brass air plug, solder a schuders(?) tyre air valve into it.

Turn off both the LS & TRV, remove any of the two top plugs from the radiator & connect your soldered plug(above), open your LS radiator valve, connect a foot pump to your air valve, pump all the water out the radiator(this will go into the F&E tank or out through the PRV if the system water pressure goes above 3Bar). You'll hear the air gurgle through the LS valve when the rad is empty, then turn off the LS valve before disconnecting the radiator. You should be left with little or no water in the radiator, but always have a few old towels & plastic dish to hand - you don't want to damage the white deep shag pile!!!.......... :LOL: ;)

PS. For the hard of thinking, don't forget to cap the TRV!!!

Pump all the water out the radiator(this will go into the F&E tank or out through the PRV if the system water pressure goes above 3Bar)

Also don't forget to carry a spare PRV with you to replace the one on the system that's now leaking as you've got sh!t in it by pumping mucky heating water out of it.

I found a prv on the loop of a Vaillant a few years ago. Boiler had failed expansion vessel, local rgi had fitted prv to top up boiler automatically!!!!
Quality

You're right Dan, there's a few boilers with integral loops you'll be unable to use it on.

Fit an external loop and ignore the integral one :idea:

Thats useful for installers.

BUT its also useful for fitting permanently on the filling loop at tenanted properties to stop them over filling the system.

Tony

A process that I refer to as idiot proofing

Pump all the water out the radiator(this will go into the F&E tank or out through the PRV if the system water pressure goes above 3Bar)

Also don't forget to carry a spare PRV with you to replace the one on the system that's now leaking as you've got **** in it by pumping mucky heating water out of it.

A very good point, of course if it's a large radiator & the system is a bit manky, then it would be wise to drop the sealed system pressure at the drain c.ck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back