Did my gas engineer do it correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Had a new boiler installed into a house that's been dormant for 2years. Since then the system keeps crashing due to low pressure/air.

We paid the have the radiators chemically cleaned. However, the engineer didn't flush them.

He said the chemical he uses stays in the system. Is that correct?

Doesn't sound right to me, as all the gunk is still inside the radiators.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Might have used CalChem 3-in1 which can stay in the system. Any idea on the chemical used? Any leaks anywhere? Could be settlement air.

Thanks. I'll ask about the chemicals.

No leaks that I can find. Heating work only if the hot water is turned on (water is also heated by the boiler).

Without water on, the heating locks out. Code f. 23.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
P.s I know he had two bottles with him. One was a cleaner, the other was an inhibitor? Does that still mean it could have of been a two in one.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
P.s I know he had two bottles with him. One was a cleaner, the other was an inhibitor? Does that still mean it could have of been a two in one.
If one was a cleaner, this should have been drained out and then inhibitor added.

Is the boiler a combination type?
If I put chemicals in the system, post cleaning I flush them out with multiple flushes, then add inhibitor

Appears the boiler may be a Vaillant.

Issue needs looked at.

It's a gravity feed vaillant. Two tanks in the loft type system. He's going to cut more ventilation into the system.

I suspect he didn't put the chemicles into the system, hence he didn't need to flush.

No cleaner should be left in and furthermore the system should be flushed well to get rid of loosened dirt!

Thanks both. I'll get back onto him..
I had a feeling he didn't do it, as I reminded him about it close to the end of the day.
He obviously didn't want to stick around.

• Thanks
Last question please. When he first arrived, he emptied the radiators into my flower bed.
Is that standard, or should he have of come with a container for the water?

Last question please. When he first arrived, he emptied the radiators into my flower bed.
Is that standard, or should he have of come with a container for the water?
yeah he should have brought a portable bath tub with him and took all the water away with him , pretty standard practise

Looks like I got a cowboy. No wonder my new boiler isn't working

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back