Difference between expansion and header tanks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

I first want to add some cleanser and then some inhibitor/protector into our CH system, which I believe to be an open-vented type. However, I really want to check that what I think I know is actually right…

In the loft I have a large water tank and alongside, a much smaller tank. I believe the large water tank is the header tank that feeds the HW storage cylinder and the smaller tank is the expansion tank for the CH. So, assuming that is correct, I should add the cleanser/protector to the *smaller expansion tank*, yes? This smaller tank has very little water in it and what’s there does look quite sludgy. So I’m pretty confident this is where the chemicals should go – but I want to check cos I’d like to avoid my wife’s skin falling off next time she takes a bath.

Harry.

Sponsored Links
Correct. But you should make sure that you know how to drain the system and flush it through.

Correct. But you should make sure that you know how to drain the system and flush it through.

Thanks. I think I know how to drain the system -- essentially kill the incoming water at the stopcock, connect a pipe to a downstairs radiator, open up the bleed valves all round and let it all run out. Please let me know if that's wrong?

As for flushing, I'm not so sure what you mean? I know how to refill the system (basically turn the water back on and then bleed all the rads) but if you mean power-flushing then that's beyond my ken.

So any further advice appreciated...

I would clean the f/e tank out first before pouring it straight into the sludge already in the tank.

Sponsored Links

Thanks. I think I know how to drain the system -- essentially kill the incoming water at the stopcock, connect a pipe to a downstairs radiator, open up the bleed valves all round and let it all run out. Please let me know if that's wrong?
depends what you mean by "connecting to a radiator"? Have you got a drainoff valve anywhere?

[As for flushing, I'm not so sure what you mean? I know how to refill the system (basically turn the water back on and then bleed all the rads) but if you mean power-flushing then that's beyond my ken.
I mean running fresh water through the system to remove as much sludge as possible (clean out the FE tank and wipe it out as seco suggests for a start) even before you put any chemicals in?

[/quote] depends what you mean by "connecting to a radiator"? Have you got a drainoff valve anywhere?

Yes, drain-off valves present on two downstairs rads, both next to outside doors, so very convenient. Not worried about draining at all.

[As for flushing, I'm not so sure what you mean? I know how to refill the system (basically turn the water back on and then bleed all the rads) but if you mean power-flushing then that's beyond my ken.
I mean running fresh water through the system to remove as much sludge as possible (clean out the FE tank and wipe it out as seco suggests for a start) even before you put any chemicals in?[/quote]

Yes, I will clean out the f/e first, for sure. As for running fresh water through the system, would that be a case of leaving the drain-off valve open and then letting the f/e tank inlet run freely for a while?

What one are you going to use ie cleaner ?

Well, I imagine you'll laugh but I bought two 1-litre self-branded bottles from Homebase -- so Homebase Cleaner and Homebase Protector (or something like that). I did see a bottle of X200 but that was less descriptive in what's required, so I went for the bottles with the clearer explanation...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back