Different types of cracks - advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just renovating my first house, and as my family are not that into DIY just wanted to double check on here that I was going in the right direction before I start painting!

She's quite old (~200 years) and has a lot of cracks. I've attached pictures of one room which gives quite a good overview of what the rest of the house is like - hairline cracks in the middle of walls, cracks along bits that join, bits of missing paint, and then one big/ger crack.

Had surveys done and there is a bit of movement with it being on a hill and it being old, but nothing too serious (fingers crossed). So my current plan:

1) Bits that have already been (crudely) filled: sand paper down, knock any loose bits out and then use general polyfiller for any cracks that have formed again

2) hairline cracks: have a light filler to use, then sandpaper down

3) Cracks between window and wall, skirting board and wall etc use a different filler - or caulk? Wasn't sure if this was necessary...

4) Larger crack: remove any bits that are loose, use a more heavy duty filler, then sand over.

5) Bits of missing paint - skim over then paint.

Does that sound ok in general? I've bought general pollyfiller and then some of wilkos own too. I've heard as it's moving maybe I should use toupret flexible? Orwill it be ok with the stuff I've bought?

I'm just prepping it first then painting it all with two coats of wilkos white emulsion - it doesn't need to be a work of art but wanted to check on here first that it all sounds ok.

IMG_20200212_193713.jpg IMG_20200212_193711.jpg IMG_20200212_193705.jpg IMG_20200212_193700.jpg IMG_20200212_193654.jpg IMG_20200212_193726.jpg IMG_20200212_193719.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back