Difficult to utilise space - ideas appreciated!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My home is built jutting out of the side of a soft sandstone cliff; with the top floor essentially the ground floor & two floors beneath it (B1 & B2).

space.jpg

Directly under the ground floor is an outside space about 8m by 4m. I would like to utlise this for something, but am at a loss for ideas. It gets some sun in the morning (not much because there is a significant overhang. I have 2 daughters aged 7 & 8. Any suggestions welcome.

Here are some pictures.
view_from_B1_door.jpg

view_from_front.jpg

view_from_ground_floor.jpg

view_from_B2Garden.jpg

Sponsored Links
things that come to mind

storage, but tidier than it is!

turn it into a play area for the children. deck over part of it so they can ride the bikes etc up and down, little play house, and make it intro a fairy grotto with all that exposed rock.

adult area, nice deck, water feature running through the rocks at the back, sheltered etc

Thanks for the ideas. I realized that the 'grotto' idea was not appropriate as my girls are growing up so fast, but that in turn made me realise that they are going to need some privacy down the line (our top floor living area is divided by paper shoji & fusuma). So I think I'm going to take some time & turn it into their bedrooms.

Big job! So I'll be back for more advice! Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back