digging - fair rate per hr to pay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a 5x4m front garden which i need dug over and remove all grass/weeds prior to levelling and membrane and landscaping to make maintenance free. As im 62 i cant do the digging (at least not very easily!) and was wondering what is a fair rate to pay for just digging over! Probably cant afford to pay a proper landscaping firm so am wanting to offer someone some work either for the job or per hour.
Any suggestions for the going rate for a pro compared to an odd job man?!!
Probably 2-3 days work at a guess! (just the digging and levelling!)

Friends / son in law havent got the time to do it for free!! :>)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi cavair.

Not sure I can answer your question but can certainly offer some advice which may be useful. I spent the weekend digging out small hedges, plants etc in my garden. It was hard graft and slow. As of this morning there were still a fair few larger hedges / small trees remaining which I tried to dig out. I spent an hour on 1 alone and finally gave up.

I spoke to a man with a digger who I found online. He only normally works on day rates at £150 a day but as there was not much which needed doing he came over this afternoon. He unloaded the digger, removed all the larger hedges / tree stumps. He then went into the back garden and took out a couple more hedges there. These were then picked up by the digger, carried back to the front garden and put in a pile with the others. All of this along with a chat and a cuppa was done and he was loaded up and off within 45 minutes.

The point being that had I just called him in the first place I would have saved a lot of hard work. What may take someone a few days by hand might be able to be done in a few hours with a digger.

Ps. Cost me £50 to give you an idea and I'm sure there wouldn't be much more work involved in your project than I had done today.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back