Digital shower with combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just having a new combi boiler fitted with a new bathroom. I want the best shower experience possible but realise i cannot have a pumped shower. I have been looking at the digital showers - has anyone fitted one with a high pressure system? can anyone tell me how the pressure is and if it is better than a general thermostatic shower? :confused:

Sponsored Links
i can't fault digital showers but running one off a combi will only give out the performance of what the combi gives.
so over all it's down to the boiler spec not the digital shower/mixer valve.

but over all they are good showers.

Ditto above, are you sure a combi is the best type of boiler for your house?

Just get a good shower designed to go with a combi. You don't need anything more complicated than that.

Sponsored Links
You can have a digital shower with just about any type of boiler or hot water system. Make sure you get one with the right program though.

A digital shower won't give you a better shower experience than any other type of shower. That depends on the pressure, mains pressure in your case. and flow rate, which is limited by the boiler power in your case.

All the "digital" does is give you a bunch of features like wireless control, presets for different people, etc. Features that I predict you'll find a lot less useful than you ever imagined ;)

so the reason I asked the question is that B&Q did independent testing and in their brochure it shows that with 1 bar of pressure, the digital shower has a better flow rate than a normal thermostatic shower.
This made the digital shower more attractive but i don't know anyone who has one to see if this is true or not

What a load of crap from the big warehouse people, they're just trying to justify their product and the premium price. I've seen the same reports showing that a thermostatic shower has the best flow rate. All crap. The flow rate at a given head depends on the restrictions in the pipework, valves, and shower head. Also in the case of a combi boiler, in the power of the boiler to heat water fast enough (assuming you want the water hot!). Get a digital shower if you like gadgets or need some specific feature that they provide. Otherwise get a good quality pressure-balanced or thermostatic shower. Combis operate at mains pressure and for most people the flow rate will be limited by the power of the boiler itself.

Thanks - just what I was suspecting. I was getting a Worcester Bosh Greenstar top of the range combi but having looked at the site, I need to figure what kind of mains system i have to determine if my flow rate is sufficient enough to support a combi boiler and get a decent shower.
The house was built in 1933. Water does not pass through the taps that fast in which case if i buy the best boiler and decent thermostatic shower i still may not achieve a decent shower correct?!
So my other considerations.... my current tank is a small tank that needs to be moved to toft due to space restrictions which is a buge piece of work, plus i'd have to buy a bigger tank to get the family showers. The boiler has to be replaced regardless as it is old and not reliable.
My objective is more efficient heating and water and a decent shower in the bathroom (in the place of the old boiler.

Do i gain the efficiences and go with the combi and potentially save money on installation etc. but risk having a crappy shower??? help!

From an installation point of view some of the digital showers are alot easier to install , less disruption to existing tiled bathrooms ect like the Aqualisa Quartz range , which are available for combis !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back