Dimmer is BUZZZZZZZZing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double LV dimmer I've attempted to fit to two sets of lights.
a) A set of 6 halogen downlights which operate and dim fine.
b) a central 7x10w halogen light fitting

the central fitting buzzes like crazy both at the switch and the light fitting.
I realises a slight buzz is usual but this could drown out the TV!!!

Ive removed it for safety and sanity at present but nit sure what to do.

Is it my central light has a transformer?? and doesn't like dimmers - is there an alternative??

Would a 400w dimmer do a better job???

As an aside and i'll post seperatly - are switches available that have a dimmer and an on/off switch on the same plate?

Sponsored Links
You can buy dimmers that have a seperate ON/OFF on the same plate if you go to an electrical wholesaler, but they can be expensive.

Regarding your problem, I would certainly look at uprating the dimmer, if it is a cheaper one then it probably will be noisy regardless, look for Hamilton Litestat or MK, they are the best.

The central Tx does not appear to like being dimmed. Many electronic Tx's are not dimmer friendly, even when it is claimed they are.

If you wish to dim Halogen SELV lights, the best way to do this is buy Toroidal (wire wound) transformers. They last longer, don't care abouyt being dimmed and dome make unpleasent noises..until you get them big enough to accelerate electrons in their core anyway!!

I would suggest that perhaps you look at replacing the lights you have with 230V Halogen downlighters, these have GU10 bases as oppose to the GU5.3 on the 12V animal.

These lamps last longer and produce less problems when dimmed that conventional halogen lights.

My problem buzzing comes from the central light and I have no buzz problem from the downlights on the other dimmer. (If I wire only those up no buzz) If i wire only the central light fitting I have buzz. So my problem is the central light
Belows a link to the fitting i bought.

Link to my light fitting is here

The item I have is the 7 arm Claton (top left in the pics)

Is it possible to replace the transformer that came with this to a LV dimmable transformer?

Also you mentioned a plate with both dimmer and on/off - Ive searched high and low for one (and on web and just cant find it).
In brass preferably lol

The problem is without a doubt the transformer in the main fitting, however changing this will not be as easy as it sounds.

The transformer you by must fit in the space available and meet all the requirements of the fitting.

I would suggest that you return it to NEXT..(no comment) and ask them for a refund, or a different fitting that has a dimmable transformer in it as this one clearly does not.

For what you want try this.

Hamilton Litestat, code XGP1X250
1 gang 2 way
Push on/off 250W max 40W min

Contact details:

R. Hamilton & Co Ltd,
Quarry Industrial Estate,
MERE,
Wiltshire
BA12 6LA Email:

General Enquiries:
[email protected]

Literature Requests:
[email protected]

Telephone:

01747 860088 Fax:

01747 861032

Sponsored Links
thanks
Im looking for a 2 gand plate though. If i cant dim the centre lights I will just have it on / off with my halogen spots dimmable. thats why i'd like a plate with one dimmer and one off /on all on the same thing rather than having to wire in two switches which will be a mess and a pain.

the wife likes the lights so there going nowhere

They don't have all of the models listed on the website and I do not have a catolgue to hand, I would suggest that you e-mail the sales team, or phone them and tell them what you want to do, they can then advise you on the best switch for your purposes.

They do make bespoke items too.

However if you want it to be double gang, then you will need a larger box in the wall as each side would be a two gang, rocker switch and dimmer for each gang if you see what I mean.

ahhh i think i may be mistaken as to what is a gang.
I want one plate with a dimmer and a rocker on it. i thought that was 2 gang but i am probably incorrect here.
it appears to be my easiest way out of this lightng problem

Take a look at the "grid" systems from people like MEM, MK etc.

You buy individual modules like these:

K4501WHI.JPG
K4881BLK.JPG

and mounting plates in the finish of your choice which can take 1 or 2 modules in a single-gang size, or 3 or 4 in a double-gang size, or anything up to 24 in a non-domestic-standard size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back